A few weeks back I mentioned that I had been crafting with the boys…resulting in a slip and slide paint horror show in my kitchen.
But we weren’t just decorating every body part that boys find HIL-A-RI-OUS, we were actually making two ‘cool’ projects.
- Billy the robot (he is still missing arms, so is still a work in progress)
Papier mache, paint, glue, googly eyes, tissue paper heaven for sure and a lot of laughter and memories made. I will treasure hearing Wriggler declare that I ‘…was the best mummy for letting him paint EVERYTHING!!’.
I have to say I am pretty proud of our dinosaur, the boys can hide inside him, Fidget loves to give him a cuddle and even the boys friends have loved playing with him.
I expect him to be pretty battered by the end of the summer…and I will be sad to see him go, but for now the laughter and the memories of making him warm my heart.
Tips for making a botasaur….
- You need a lot of boxes, a couple of big ones, some smaller ones and then the packing paper from inside those boxes
- Stick everything together and then newspaper papier mache the crap out of it
- Use egg cartons for the spines, kitchen roll tubes for the arms, and an advocado tray for the eye sockets. For the robot we used a chocolate fingers tray for the mouth, jaffa cake trays for the shoulder buttons and laundry balls for the ears
- Then tissue paper, or more newspaper
- Then paint
- And repaint when the kids have finished making a mess and you just need to ‘correct’ things
- Goggly eyes – don’t forget the eyes!!
- Play, play and play and don’t stress when it gets trodden on, drilled with the toy drill and the arms are pulled in the haste to open the hidey-hole door
And this is the finished article: